Summary of Department of Transportation’s (DOTr’s) road-based transportation guidelines on areas under General Community Quarantine (GCQ):
– Starting today, 01 May, PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION in areas under general community quarantine (GCQ) will RESUME OPERATIONS at REDUCED CAPACITY to ensure compliance with strict safety measures against COVID-19 transmission.
– ALL PERMITTED PUVs, transport TERMINALS and OPERATORS must FOLLOW three essential components dictated in the protocol/guidelines – SAFETY, CAPACITY and COVERAGE/SCOPE.
-SAFETY refers to guidelines that REDUCE contact, transmission, and spread of the virus through the MANDATORY USE of face masks and gloves for drivers. Thorough DISINFECTING practices of vehicles, terminals, and even among passengers are also required.
-CAPACITY and passenger load factors will be required for each mode of transportation to ensure that physical distancing is followed.
-Passenger load for public utility buses (PUBs) and public utility jeepneys (PUJs) SHOULD NOT EXCEED 50 percent or half of the vehicle’s capacity, excluding driver and conductor.
– For UV Express and taxis, passenger load SHOULD NOT EXCEED TWO PASSENGERS PER ROW, except for the driver’s row where only one passenger is allowed..
– Tricycles must NOT EXCEED ONE PASSENGER in the side-car, while backriding is not be allowed.
– Private cars and motorcycles will be allowed to operate for the purpose of essential travels as defined by the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF).
– Private cars will only be allowed ONE PASSENGER to occupy the front passenger seat, while FRONT-FACING seats shall not exceed TWO PASSENGERS per row.
– Motorcycles are PROHIBITED from having BACKRIDE passengers. Meanwhile, the use of BICYCLES and similar devices are also highly encouraged, and LGUs are also encouraged to identify bike-lanes, or bike-only roads.
– The mode of PUV that will operate in each route in the GCQ areas will be guided by the number of passengers that will be transported.
-PUV modes with higher passenger capacity such as buses will be prioritized consistent with the Department Order No. 2017-011. In areas where buses are not enough to serve the actual passenger demand, or the road characteristics will not permit their operations, PUVMP compliant PUVs are the next priority. In areas with unavailable buses and modern PUVs, PUJ’s and UV Express may operate. In areas were no other mode of public transportation is available, tricycles may be permitted to operate as determined by the LTFRB in coordination with the corresponding LGU.
– The LTFRB has already finalized the mechanism for issuing of special permits to allow PUVs to operate. Drivers and operators may apply for the permit, free of charge, through LTFRB offices or by email through LTFRB’s online channels.
– Private vehicle owners, PUV drivers and operators, and private or public transport terminal operators who VIOLATE the guidelines will be SANCTIONED and PENALIZED.
– ANY MODE of public transportation in areas under the extended enhanced community quarantine (ECQ), including Metro Manila, are prohibited.